Task:  Investigate the appropriate use of technology or social networking policies that apply in your situation as a student or teacher.  As a teacher, you want to be sure that you know and understand them before asking your students to engage in certain online activities.  

Share your thoughts (a few ideas listed below)

• Please identify your perspective (student, teacher, administrator, parent, etc.)
  • How do you feel about the policies in place?  
  • What limitations do they place on you (or your students)?  
  • What would need to change in order to help you feel that you were providing or experiencing a more authentic learning opportunity?  
  • Are there policies in place that actually promote social networking or the integration of technology into your classroom that would be worth sharing?
  • How do the policies impact authentic teaching and learning about your digital footprint?

Views: 278

Replies to This Discussion

Do we jump into the water and learn how to swim or do we sit on the edge and miss all the fun? Because of possible legal ramifications and accountability issues, far too many teachers are not secure enough to take the plunge into social media themselves, much less encourage their students to do so.  

A parent letter from my district. Will be posting, sending out to parents to post on their refridgerator for reference, translate into Spn for Spanish-speaking families.  A start.

Attachments:

As a teacher, I see a lot of schools that are unwilling to open the flood gates for full internet use. Cyber bullying and the use of inappropriate sites that become a distraction, such as Facebook, are concerns in the educational forum. Students are not all going to be mature and responsible, they are still learning how to be. Maybe set up a "Fakebook" page to help model and guide students through an educational perspective on how to be more mature and responsible.http://www.classtools.net/fb/home/page

I just started a new job as a high school librarian and no use of cell phones is allowed in the classrooms at all. At the last high school I was at in the same district, we were encouraged to think outside the box and we could use cell phones in our teaching which I did. I had a Facebook page for my AP American History class and while we couldn't access it at school, it was very useful for communicating  with my students about homework, projects and sharing ideas. My current school serves a conservative community and I think risks are not taken. It is rated an "A" school and the other school that I taught at had a much lower rating and the administrators wanted us to take chances to engage students and keep them from switching to charter schools. It definitely affects teaching and evaluating digital foot-printing - how many of these teachers are going to address this issue?

What a great task!

I'm a teacher-librarian in a 5-6 grade school.  My small district recently re-wrote the AUP (now termed Electronic Resource) and will be rolling it out to staff and students this fall.  I was glad to be a part of re-writing it because I have confidence that it is a positive document that discusses the potential that technology brings while still being strongly worded about digital citizenship expectations.  These expectations have a focus on helping students begin to recognize that their actions could have damaging effect on their digital reputation. 

But it is an untested policy so we shall see how it goes.

Since I'm in the 5-6 school, I recognize that I need to provide sheltered opportunities for students to practice and think about their digital life without throwing them into the deep end. I like the idea of exploring Edmoto further. 

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Follow #homeschool14

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service