Before we really launch this network, I"m hoping will brainstorm some ways that a network like this could be very helpful to students.  Please chime in!

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Students 2.0 will need a glossary of students 2.0 specific terminology. With students from around the world, a language of its own will be sure to develop.
Could there be groups that support/inspire/display students' work...videos, audio files, photos, and text?
I think an awesome example of this type of sharing/collaborating/mentoring is Kevin Honeycutt's Artsnacks Ning site. Take a look and maybe we can incorporate some of the strategies he has so effectively incorporated into that community. http://www.essdackartsnacks.org/ There are thousands of students participating in this network with many sub-groups and they share artwork, photography, writing and more. Maybe we could start a forum on his site to invite students to join Students 2.0 to continue to share and provide input for both this site and the virtual conference. The age group on both sites is that same--13 years and older.
That's a great idea. And we should be looking for sites like Kevin's that we can point to as places where students can engage actively. A wiki would really come in handy right now! :)
Steve - I am hoping some teachers will send their students here - http://students20.pbworks.com/FrontPage
Of course there is the novel/shortstory/literature discussion groups.
Could Students 2.0 be a launching pad for student extracurricular activities. Would this be organized from a group called Student Extracurricular Activities. So, clubs like National Honor Society, Model United Nations, Odyssey of the Mind, FIRST Robotics, and DECA, could be organized this way?
What if you set up a wiki which started with several pages like those extra curricular activities (NHS, FIRST, O-M, FBLA, YES, etc. ) plus one for college searches and one for career ideas so that it is menu driven and would encompass all age groups from upper elementary through college. And allowed students to be the writers of this wiki to continue writing/creating the wiki on their own.

I use wikis within my classes, wetpaint and wikispaces, where I put videos about child development on there which are fun in nature but about children--e.g. the little girl who threw back the baseball at the baseball game last year that Dad had just caught and yet he gave her a hug or the country rock song, Mr.Mom and asked them to respond to those. This got them excited to go on and soon enough they were on there on Saturday nights collaborating about the children they were working with rather than on Facebook. So we need to entice them beginning with interesting topics to them along with interesting information (be it videos, or what not) and perhaps put in areas that are stretching out of their comfort zone (like careers, colleges,etc)

One thing that I have recently found is the fear of students not knowing what they want to be when they "grow up" or what they want to major in and so I'd like to see a career page where mentors can put what they are, how they knew they wanted to go into it and perhaps how many times they changed their major in college....

Today's teen life is so stressful--I think also there needs to be "stress relieving" page--my bet is that those who enter this site are the high achievers--they need to learn how others like them get through the stressful times--what do they do to relieve stress in their lives or how does their schools/parents help them to relieve such stress (maybe then we can make one for teachers too:-) )

Another idea might be to get fun writing topics and put them on to allow students to use that page as graffiti on that topic. Each day my students have a topic on the board that they have to write about for three minutes and I learn so much about them and since they are of interesting topics, they don't seem to mind as much and actually miss it if I give them a day off. I've actually begun to type them up to possibly put them somewhere without names so that others can get a feel for what teens think. For example, I took Ken Robinson's question and gave it to them: Do schools Kill Creativity? From there I learned their feelings on rubrics which was quite interesting. So wouldn't it be cool if they could have their own place to do this without teachers requiring it to be done.

To actually get the students, I think somehow teachers need to be encouraged to spread the word to students--possibly suggest they offer extra credit in the beginning and then it may spread really well after that.

But I do think it is a great idea...I just would give them so much that they can decide which parts that they want to participate in and perhaps as they get older, they'll move into different sections. (of course as they grow older, technology will also change so who knows!!)
Ann:

Whatever you have built, or would be interested in building, we can link to from here or try to incorporate! I love your creativity!
I'm with you. I like Sam's creativity, and I think the proper way here will be to encourage educators to create places for students to get some guidance, but to also let students tell us what they need. Some of those needs may be sophisticated, but if Classroom 2.0 is any guide, we'll be helping a lot of students at the very beginnings of their journeys.
i was just talking to my daughter...

i think we need to have a month of adult inactivity. teachers can keep joining.. but i think we need to be quiet.
give students time to populate it and mark their territory. create their own groups, etc.

i also think as teachers, we each need to set a goal of encouraging at least 10 students to join. and we need to offer them class time to do it.. possibly credit as well. i just think it's not fair to ask the kids to do more. they are way busy as it is.. and - isn't this where we want school to head? if so, we need to model it by giving them time (and space) to come do their thing.

if in a months time.. each teacher has at least 10 kids to their name, kids are going to feel more like it's their space.. we need to have more of them than us.

what do you guys think?
I showed this to a number of kids last night, and one of them said that this space could be a place where they are learning the things few people in our area are teaching them in school. Sadly, I don't know that many of our teachers will find space within what they are already doing to pursue this....I think you're right. I'm excited about extending my invitations to kids from outside of the school realm, actually. When we were looking at it together last night, they were getting pretty fired up about it...because it wasn't school. By the way, much excitement for your web 2.0 sessions from this crowd, Jenny!

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Follow #homeschool14

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service