Before we really launch this network, I"m hoping will brainstorm some ways that a network like this could be very helpful to students.  Please chime in!

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve, I'm so lame at tech.. not even sure what you're asking..

a wiki? - that's the part i'm not following. what would a wiki do for us?

I think to get kids moving around between these resources...we just link everything. I just added Students 2.0 to our class ning (down just a bit in the middle) and to the new school ning (scroll down a bit on left side under people and places).

I would absolutely love to see a webinar series led by kids.. them telling us what they need.
A wiki ( /ˈwɪki/ WIK-ee) is a website that allows the easy[1] creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor.[2][3] Wikis are typically powered by wiki software and are often used to create collaborative websites, to power community websites, for personal note taking, in corporate intranets, and in knowledge management systems.
Wikis may exist to serve a specific purpose, and in such cases, users use their editorial rights to remove material that is considered "off topic." Such is the case of the collaborative encyclopedia Wikipedia.[3] In contrast, open purpose wikis accept content without firm rules as to how the content should be organized.
Ward Cunningham, the developer of the first wiki software, WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work."[4] "Wiki" (pronounced [ˈwiki] or [ˈviki]) is a Hawaiian word for "fast".[5] "Wiki" has been backronymed by some to "What I Know Is".[6]
Thank you Jeff. I use a ton of wiki wetpaints - like most I do though - not sure I use them in the normal way...so wasn't sure what Steve thought a wiki would do for us here.

And yes - a common language would be good. But we should expect even more communication gaps when kids join in. (i call my students kids and they are 9-12 - if i say student - well - i'm a student)
If we really want this to be their space, we really ought to let them make those distinctions. And they'd have to be 13 to join, yes?

Clarity is very important, misunderstanding causes a lot of roadblocks. I'm glad you bring it up.
Jeff answered the wiki question. I just meant do we need an organized place to be gathering resources and links. It would be easy enough to set up http://wiki.students20.com. Or maybe we just point to other existing lists.

Sounds like I should interview YOU. :)

I do like a student interview series as well. Matt Montagne has tentatively offered to help start such a thing!
ok then... the wiki is a good idea... but i suggest we get kids on here first - and they create it..

or maybe - create it in two parts...
1) places/links suggested by old people
2) places/links suggested by young people

:)
Language is great but tricky. Terms do need to be defined. The little mantra in my head says "Our ability to manipulate our environment is delimited by our ability to make distinctions". So when we speak of Students and Kids I think we really must make distinctions and define our terms.

10 year olds and 15 year olds are barely the same species and need to be handled differently.
Hi--just jumping in to the mix here in response to my invite from Jenny. I am compelled by the notion of having students lead within this space, specifically around the things they are most passionate about. While I'm happy to start or moderate a group, for instance, in my own work on the ground, I spend a good portion of time working with students who are eager to be teachers of writing inside and beyond schools. This space could provide people like them a phenomenal opportunity to work with a more global group and develop leadership and teaching skills at the same time....around something they love and that matters to them.
I agree. My current vision would be that students who are ready to lead can do so, but there is also good mentoring from educators for what may be the majority of students who come here: those who want to do more but need guidance.
yes...those who want to do more..

and like Angela said...
around something they love and that matters to them.

We need spaces like this outside of our classrooms, outside of our states and countries, so young (and old) can find out there are mentors(educators) that share like passions. That's powerful and where true rigor happens.
What was so wonderful about joining this space this morning was opening up the page and seeing the number of participants involved in conversation already. One thing I struggle with in every community I've been a part of online...lack of real participation.

I'm wondering what we could do to invite the kids to jump in AND provide them a bit of a welcoming like I received today---people already here at the table, talking about things I'm interested in. I know that with a bit of planning, I could gather a circle of kids who were passionate about writing......wonder if we could do that with other groups, to build a base of company and potential connection here....
Could there be a group designed for Languages Other Than English (LOTE) acquisition/practice. I realize that their is a chat room application for other Ning sites. I also understand that several languages are supported by Ning.
Sure. You can either create a group here, or just put links to those sites for students to know to go there!

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Follow #homeschool14

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service